Every year, the Washington Peace Center throws the activist party of the season!
The Activist Awards Grassroots Gala is a wonderful event where we celebrate DC activists' hard work and successes in creating a more just and peaceful world. We honor local activists and throw a party for the entire community. Thanks to everyone who came out on March 31, 2016!
Click here to see the photos from the inspirational evening.
The 2016 winners were....
- The Power to the People Award -- Jenny Tang and Vera Watson, Museum Square Tenants Association, for their organizing to preserve affordable housing at the Museum Square building in Chinatown
- The Speak Truth To Power Award - Dr. Maha Hilal, National Coalition To Protect Civil Freedoms (NCPCF), for her work to end torture, center Muslim families and prisoners impacted by the War on Terror, and organize against Islamophobia.
- The No Justice No Peace Award - Marion Hopkins, Coalition of Concerned Mothers, for co-founding the People's Coalition for Police Accountability after losing her son Gary to police terrorism in 1999, and becoming a leading voice for police accountability nationally.
- The Be The Change Award - People for Fairness Coalition for their consistent work on organizing against homelessness in the District and their annual vigil that pays respect to the homeless lives lost in the District.
- The Another World Is Possible Award - The DC Movement for Black Lives for their organizing against racism, state violence and police brutality, and centering Black lives in DC.
- The People Over Profit Award - Shilpa Joshi, Chesapeake Climate Action Network, for her powerful work for environmental justice that led to anti-fracking legislation wins in Maryland.
- Empowering The Future Youth Award: Rodrigo Velasquez, Mason DREAMERS, for building a more supportive environment for undocumented students on George Mason's campus through the ACCESS Mason Program.
- Helga Herz Lifetime Achievement Award: Sister Megan Rice, Transform Now Ploughshares, for her tireless activism for the abolition of nuclear weapons and serving jail time for breaking into a nuclear plant.
Click here to see the bios for all our 2016 Awardees.
Did you know? WPC sustainers get FREE tickets to the Activist Awards! Click here to become a sustainer at just $10/month and get a free ticket, plus know that you'll be supporting peace and justice every day of the year.
Have you been to all the previous Activist Awards?
- Click here to see all the impressive Awardees from the past nine years.