What is Fiscal Sponsorship?
The Washington Peace Center’s Fiscal Sponsorship Program provides a vital service to projects and organizations without 501(c)(3) status. Once approved into the program, these groups are able to carry out fundraising that provides their donors with a tax-deductible donation.
Fiscal sponsorees can use our 501(c)3 status for any individual donations, in-kind donations or grant applications that need tax-deductible status. We can also offer an individualized Paypal button for their website to accept online and credit card donations.
Why might you want WPC as your Fiscal Sponsor?
- Your group is small – maybe you are an all volunteer organization, or your project’s goals are limited, or you don’t have a strong donor base – but you have opportunities to receive donations that require tax-exempt status.
- Applying for 501(c)3 status is expensive and time consuming– The costs of applying are out of your reach or don’t make sense for what you are trying to accomplish
- You are trying to build your organization – You are trying to raise money and create a donor base before you start applying for your own 501(c)3, you are trying to gauge interest in your project
- You want to try an experimental or novel approach – You want to try new methods of organizing, developing, or implementing your project
- Your project is temporary – you have a goal to achieve, an event to coordinate, or a limited timeline before you plan to disband. Disbanding your group and your fiscal sponsorship relationship is a lot easier and less costly than disbanding a 501(c)3
- You might have to disband due to lack of sufficient funds – You aren’t sure you’ll be able to raise the money you need. Disbanding your group and your fiscal sponsorship relationship is a lot easier and less costly than disbanding a 501(c)3