The Washington Peace Center is looking for new board members!
The Washington Peace Center is a Metro DC grassroots organization working for peace and justice. Our mission is to provide education, resources and action for those working for positive social change and a world free from oppression. We strengthen the impact of the peace and justice movements by
- fostering greater collaboration among activist groups
- bridging the gap between global, national & local issues and communities, and
- providing the material support to achieve these goals.
Based in Washington DC, we have been working to achieve peace and social justice since 1963.
We are looking for committed, passionate people who care about the peace and justice community and the Washington Peace Center to help guide and support this long-standing, grassroots organization. This is an opportunity to be a part of an exciting local organization and help shape its vision and goals.
Qualities we are looking for in Prospective Board Members:
- Demonstrated commitment to peace and justice
- Commitment to the movement and this organization
- Connection to the DC area and its movements
- A sense of the potential of the Peace Center and a desire to contribute to its growth and development.
- Ability to contribute to strengthening the organization internally – developing its functionality
- Willingness to contribute to strengthening the organization externally – sharing in programmatic responsibilities.
- Willingness to make Peace Center a priority and to make a meaningful monthly time commitment.
- Desire to contribute heart and soul to the Peace Center. At least one will be returned at the end of your term.
- A sense of humor.
Wisdom, Time and Money – Board members are expected to:
- Attend all board meetings – one evening a month (currently the second Wednesday of each Month – could be changed)
- Attend two day-long planning retreats a year.
- Share in leadership roles on the Board (such as meeting facilitator, committee leader, etc)
- Join one board committee (which may also meet once a month).
- Dedicate significant time to the organization. 5-10 hours a month is the range we are expecting, plus the 2 hour monthly board meeting.
- Help fundraise; have a personal goal and a plan to see it through. Personal goals last year ranged from $200-$1000/year.
- Make a financial contribution themselves at a level that is meaningful for you.
- Serve a two year term.
- Hold yourself and others accountable and follow through on things you pledge to do.
- Work cooperatively with the rest of the board and staff.
These expectations are negotiable on a case-by-case basis.
About the Board:
The Board work areas include:
- ensuring organizational continuity by developing leadership within board and staff to maintain a mix of old and new personnel in both areas;
- ensuring fiscal responsibility by monitoring income and expenses and developing realistic budgets;
- personnel – including fair policies, the hiring, firing and evaluation of staff serving as the final arbitrator of internal staff disputes and grievances and in general working to maintain good board/staff relations;
- fundraising to ensure the financial health of the organization.
The WPC Board shall aim to be comprised as follows: a majority will be women and people of color, reflecting the diversity of the Washington D.C. area. A diverse board is key to the Peace Center’s ability to incorporate the views and interests of all sectors of the D.C. community, especially those who are oppressed. The Board shall also strive to be intergenerational — recognizing the experience of our elders and the vision and energy of our youth. No one racial, ethnic, gender, sexual -orientation, age, income or skill level should dominate the Board. Some Board members should be native Washingtonians.
Board members shall affirm their commitment to the principles of nonviolence in their work with the WPC, as well as their support of addressing oppression in all its forms.
How to Apply:
For further information, email email@example.com or call us at the office at 202.234.2000